Sunday, October 16, 2011

Silver Lining

So most people that blog say they never have time to keep it updated. Believe it or not, I wish that was my case (I'm sure I'll take this back some day, but hear me out). I do a lot better when I'm constantly doing something. I went from being super busy, i.e. planning a wedding, doing an internship, getting married, moving and unpacking....to being not so busy. Not only do I not have a job yet (and you can only spend so much time job searching every day, right?) but Joe keeps leaving me high and dry! For our first two weekends as a married couple in California Joe has had to work in Phoenix. Just when I was getting used to having him around - he leaves. Twice.

Last weekend was pretty rough. I was freshly homesick, still unpacking everything, missing the hubs like crazy AND I had to go to our new ward by myself for the first time. Not fun. However, I was able to find the silver lining(s) through all of this...

First, I found a little gem of a book at Marshalls for only $3. It's called Saving Graces and it is exactly that. It's full of a million little pick-me-ups like this:
"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present." - Babatunde Olatunji. 
And there's this one:
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." -Frank A. Clark. 
See, pretty good right? Maybe not, but they did the trick for me.

Second, being here by myself for four or five days has really put the last year of Joe's life into perspective for me. Living by yourself sucks. Even though we live in a cool place with lots to do, it can get pretty lonely, especially before you really make some good friends. Joe did it for ten months and never complained once. Really, he NEVER complained. I wish I could say the same. Dating long distance was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I was still surrounded by friends and/or family the whole time. I can't imagine doing what he did, I would never be brave enough to move out here without him. I'm so happy that he doesn't have to be alone anymore!
 Disclaimer: I promise I didn't mean for this post to be a big complain fest. I just wanted everyone to know how brave and patient and amazing my husband is. Maybe if he'll stick around for a while some of that will start to rub off on me...

Third, I have experienced being truly homesick for the first time in my life. Of course, there have been plenty of times when I've missed my family before but never like this. Even when I was living away for school I could still go home whenever I wanted to. Now I can only go home when I have an extra $500-600 laying around. I know what you're thinking...how is that a good thing? Well, it's good because it's made me realize how lucky I am to have a wonderful family. I only miss them because I love them so much, and that is really a blessing.
Fourth, now I have tons of time to blog :) You've been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment