Thursday, June 7, 2012

scout master

Joe and I were in our new ward for about 4 months when they called us as primary teachers for the 9, 10, & 11-year-olds. We loved it - the kids were hilarious and would say things like this:

me: "is it hard to do what is right sometimes?"
kid: "ya. like if you're a murderer, it's really hard for you not to kill people"

joe: "you should all follow the example of your parents"
kid: "well my dad drinks beer so i guess that means i can too"

kid1: "you're a dumba--"
kid2: "you can't say dumba-- in church, idiot"
kid3: "shut up you guys!"
So, we stay pretty entertained. And the best part was that we got to spend all three hours of church together. But, about 2 months ago, they had the nerve to take Joe away from me and make him first counselor in the Young Men's Presidency! I know, rude right? Ok I'm not that upset because the young men are lucky to have him and I'm usually able to control my primary class by myself.

As part of the YM presidency, Joe is now a scout leader. (And not to brag or anything, but he's an Eagle Scout...) So here's the problem: he came home this week with a new scout uniform and asked me to SEW his patches on.  Then he continued to say, "oh, and the pants need to be hemmed too."
and then he just looked at me with a face that said "ya, i know you can't sew"
and i looked at him with a face that said "uh, good luck with that."
I said, "I don't even have a sewing machine. Or a needle and thread. And I don't know how." And I felt like a bad wife for a minute cause I wish I was more domestic and could sew stuff for my hubs. But good news!!: the patches are iron-on! I think I can handle an iron (although I did drop it on the ground once and almost burned my foot off). It'll be fine. And Joe said we can just ask someone in the ward to hem his pants...
ps this was a conversation Joe and I had the other day...
joe: hey, i just realized one of your talents
kara: what?
j: you're really good at hiding things..
k: um, what does that mean? (i wasn't aware that i was hiding anything from him)
j: our apartment used to be crammed with boxes and stuff, and somehow you got rid of all of them. it looks really nice. i have no idea where you put everything.
k: thanks?

So, maybe I can't sew, but at least I have some talents. Right?

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha ok this is by far my favorite post you've ever posted... "ya like you can't help but kill people?" riiight riiiiight. I'd keep an eye on that one. And don't even get me started on Joe's little outfit... rofl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey needed me to hem some his SUIT pants once, so i found this great stuff that you IRON on instead to hold the hem! much easier, and i still don't think joey knows i didn't actually sew them! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha. i am dying. i love this post so much.

    ReplyDelete