Tuesday, January 29, 2013

hello diet coke, goodbye hair

i guess it's time for an update, on two things mostly.
first up: the whole
one-month-without-my-favorite-drink-in-the-world deal.
yeah, that.
today is the 4 week mark. 
i'll be honest - i cheated 3 times.
once at dinner at benihana - cause duh.
[even though that was really a diet pepsi (yuck)
so i don't think i'm going to count that]
second at the movies, cause we got popcorn. duh, x2.
third after cutting my hair, cause i thought it was the
only thing that could possibly calm me down.
(i was wrong, but it was worth it)
so here i am, 4 weeks later and barely any dc in my system.
do i feel different?
no.
am i going to start drinking it again?
absolutely.
do i sound like an alcoholic?
most likely.
i don't care, cause i love it that much.

on to bigger and better things...
the day i chopped 20 inches off my hair!
i'm going to try not to be dramatic by calling this
the biggest mistake of my life,
but it's important for you to know the thought has
crossed my mind once or twice.
the last time i really cut my hair (other than a trim) was roughly 8 years ago.
i cut it to my chin and cried.
for the past year and a half i've been thinking about cutting my hair but i always chicken out 
or say "i'll do it after <insert insignificant event>"
aannnyyywaaay
i finally got the courage, made the appointment,
and committed to the big cut.
i knew i would have to cut at least 10 inches to donate to locks of love,
but somehow 10 turned into 20.
fast forward to this moment:
and i felt like i was going to throw up.
if you've ever given birth to a baby, this analogy will probably offend you, but here goes...
when she cut off the braid and handed it to me, i felt like she was handing me a baby.
that hair was on my head for 8+ years,
(way longer than it takes to make a baby, i might add)
and in a matter of minutes i was holding it in my hands!
it was the weirdest feeling and i hated holding it.
(i probably won't feel that way when it's my actual baby)
too dramatic? sorry.
it's been two days and i'm still trying to get used to it.
i keep trying to remind myself that my hair will go to
someone who needs it more than me,
but that doesn't mean i didn't cry twice yesterday...
luckily i have a super sweet husband who is willing to tell me lies things like
"it'll grow back in 6 to 7 months"
and
"you have longer hair than most girls i know"
sure, i know those are lies,
but they make me feel a little better.
now please pardon this awkward self-portrait, but i figure if you've made it to the end of my sob story, you should at least get to see the end result:
#shorthairwishididntcare :(

3 comments:

  1. It's so cute!!!! Seriously. This isn't a lie. I LOVE it!! And you have BEAUTIFUL hair so someone is going to be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I LOVE reading your blog....kind of motivates me to start mine again....I said kind of....we will see.

    I love you and miss you. I am getting my hair cut on Saturday. Wish me luck. Although I don't think I will cut as much as you. I love it though. You are always gorg. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're hair looks so gorgeous! You are so brave to cut it :) And generous!

    ReplyDelete